Whether you have just accepted a leadership role in your child’s booster organization or you’re considering the possibility, chances are you’re not quite sure what you’re getting yourself into. You’re full of enthusiasm and passion for the student program, but you’re just not sure where to begin.
You may be wondering…
- Will I be able to fill all the roles with volunteers?
- Will we be able to raise enough funds to run the program?
- How much of my time will this take?
- How will I keep everyone unified and keep cliques from forming?
- How will I motivate others and generate enthusiasm for the program?
Well, rest assured, you’re not alone. Most of us have these questions starting out.
What Should I Know About a Booster Organization?
When I became an officer in my daughter’s booster organization, I was beaming with enthusiasm. However, I quickly discovered how little I really knew about running a student support organization. Honestly, there were many aspects of a nonprofit where I simply did not know what I didn’t know.
I should have been asking…
- Do we have systems in place to prevent embezzlement, theft, and fraud?
- Do we keep our books by accepted accounting standards?
- Do we have insurance on our equipment? Should we?
- Are we recognized by the IRS as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit?
- Do we comply with IRS guidelines for nonprofits?
- Did we file a tax return last year?
There Were No Resources – Until Now
I searched for resources on booster leadership and even asked our band director for any information she may have. The sad truth is that there was nothing available. There was nothing written, outlined, or published to help booster leaders succeed. Until now.
As president of my daughter’s booster organization, I was determined to succeed. I rolled up my sleeves and went to work. I…
- Applied my leadership skills from corporate training and on-the-job experience
- Sought guidance from our principal and school board members
- Collaborated with our school board’s Superintendent for Budget and Finance
- Applied the advice of our Certified Public Accountant
- Consulted attorneys with nonprofit specialization
- Shared best practices with other booster presidents from other high schools in town
Applying all that I had learned, I engaged my team of parent volunteers and together we sustained a thriving booster organization. During my three-year tenure as booster president, we…
- Met every need for volunteer labor
- Overachieved our fundraising goals
- Transformed the organization’s funding model
- Enhanced the band’s reputation in the school and community
If I Can Lead a Thriving Booster Organization, You Can Too!
Now, I have filled the void of leadership guidance with The Booster Leader: 35 Leadership Essentials for a Thriving Booster Organization. I carefully documented everything I learned leading my own booster organization – successes AND failures. I have defined every leadership role – from the president to the committee chair – and I offer practical step-by-step instructions for each of them.
The Booster Leader consists of…
- Thirty-five proven leadership essentials that are quick and easy to implement
- Eighteen inspirational stories that bring the leadership essentials to life
- A twenty-nine point checklist to help you identify risks that may jeopardize your organization if not properly addressed (and the answers to help you resolve every issue!)
If You Are Ready To Lead With Confidence
If you are ready to lead with confidence and get results, The Booster Leader is for you. Finally, you can take the guesswork and frustration out of booster leadership. You can begin your journey leading a thriving booster organization today!
Trust me, I’ve seen other booster organizations around me struggle, and I know what works. In The Booster Leader, I share the strategies and tactics for extraordinary success.
Now is your time. If you’re new to your role, or if you’ve been at it a while and have become discouraged, now is the time to start leading your own thriving booster organization. In this book, I show you exactly how to do it.
What opportunities will a thriving booster organization offer your students?
Praise for The Booster Leader
A booster organization can either make or break the spirit of a school. I’m delighted that [Dan’s] written a book, from experience, to help booster organizations do it “the right way.”Rudy Kalis
Sports Director, WSMV-TV, Nashville, Tennessee
This is the guide that can take you from average to extraordinary in supporting your kids and their friends…Dan Miller
Author, 48 Days to the Work You Love
It will benefit any booster leader… [Dan] has done your homework for you!Gail Vick
Principal, Blackman High School (Retired 2014)
…a great resource for the community volunteer, band director, coach, teacher, and school administrator… [this] book will benefit booster clubs of all shapes and sizes.Glenn Davis
President, Spotlight Tours, LLC; High School Band Director (Retired)
Dan provides many leadership lessons and creates a simple to follow framework for creating a solid booster organization with high integrity.Bill Krueger
Chairman, JATCO Americas
…I wish we had this book back then. The Booster Leader is the field guide we were missing.Jeff Brown
Creator & Host, the Read to Lead Podcast; Award-winning Broadcaster
…a “must read” for anyone who wants to make a significant impact for years to come.Catherine Glover
President, Tennessee Chamber of Commerce and Industry; Tennessee Manufacturers Association